Periods happen to most of us ladies, so it’s no surprise that everyone’s monthly frenemy has made it into more than a few Hollywood movies, for better or worse.
Maybe you haven’t noticed these menstruation references in your favourite films before, but you definitely won’t be able to miss them after checking out the quotes below…
1. “Mr. Hall, I was surfing the crimson wave. I had to haul ass to the Ladies’.”
Perhaps the most quoted line about periods EVER, top marks to Clueless’ Cher Horowitz for not only using her time of the month (“the crimson wave”) as an excuse for being late, but also for being bold enough to announce it in front of her entire class.
2. “Somebody wrote in that book that I’m lying about being a virgin, ’cause I use super-jumbo tampons, but I can’t help it if I’ve got a heavy flow and a wide-set vagina!”
Mean Girls supporting character Bethany Byrd got some truly epic lines, including this reference to The Plastics’ Burn Book, which made fun of her tampon choices. Regina George clearly never had a heavy period.
3. “Ok, w-why do you have tampons in your boot?”
In She’s The Man, Viola did a great job of pretending to be her twin brother Sebastian… except when her tampon stash got discovered by roommate Duke (hiya, Channing Tatum). In fairness, she did a pretty good job of convincing him and the lads they were just for nosebleeds, and cracked us up in the process.
4. “Adam, did you make me a period mix?”
No Strings Attached didn’t just have a line about periods; it had a whole scene. Top marks to Adam for not only making Emma a period mix CD (now it would be a Spotify playlist for sure), but for also sympathising with all her girlfriends during that time of the month, which brings us to…
5. “It’s like a crime scene in my pants.”
Another classic No Strings Attached quote that we can all 100% relate to. Poor undies.
6. “What if I forget to flush the toilet and there’s a tampon in there? And not like a cute, oh, it’s a tampon, it’s the last day. I’m talking like a crime scene tampon. Like Red Wedding, Game of Thrones.”
Trainwreck and Amy Schumer addressed that almighty fear we all have of leaving a bloody tampon in the toilet – and at your crush’s house, no less. While we know we really shouldn’t care, it’s nice to have some kind of element of mystery, which is kinda hard to maintain once someone knows what your used tampons looks like.
7. “Someone perioded on my f**king leg!”
Superbad took the lads approach to periods when, after dancing with a girl at a house party, Seth found himself with blood on his trousers and was obviously a big baby about it. Boys, eh?