Me: “Mum, what’s for pudding?” Mum: “Have some fruit.” Eugh. Is that not the most offensive thing your mum can say to you after Sunday dinner? Pretty much. Well, don’t stress, because we’ve got a trump card up our sleeves and yes, you are free to use it too.
The next time you hear those dreaded words, whip out your phone and put this delish cinnamon-baked apple recipe in front of her face. Not only does it count towards one of your five-a-day so your ‘rents will be happy, but it actually tastes like a proper, delicious, sugary pudding, too. You’re welcome.
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the banana bread nice cream:
• 3 large ripe bananas, peeled and frozen
• 60g cashews, soaked for 4–6 hours, then drained
• 1⁄2 tbsp coconut sugar
• 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
• a pinch of salt
• 60g cacao butter
• 60g chopped roasted walnuts
For the baked apples:
• 4 green apples
• 4 tbsp coconut sugar
• 4 tbsp maple syrup
• 4 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. To make the nice cream, blitz the bananas and cashews in a food processor or blender until completely smooth.
2. Add the coconut sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt and cacao butter, then blend again.
3. Spoon the mixture into a freezer-proof container and stir through the chopped walnuts. Freeze for 2–3 hours to firm up (take out the freezer 10 mins before serving).
4. To make the baked apples, preheat the oven to 170°C (340°F/Gas 3). Scoop out the core from the top of the apples, leaving a hole (don’t cut all the way through).
5. Stuff each apple with 1 tablespoon coconut sugar and maple syrup.
6. Place a small piece of butter or coconut oil on top, then place in a shallow baking dish and sprinkle with the cinnamon.
7. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until they’re lovely and soft then serve with a dollop of ice cream!
From Guilt-Free Nice Cream by Margie Broadhead (Hardie Grant, £12.99) Photography © Jacqui Melville
It’s time you started celebrating your period, guys. Sign up to bettybox RN and get all your tampons and pads, beauty products, sweet treats and loads more cool stuff delivered to your door, every single month. We know. It’s totally awesome.
Image: Jacqui Melville/Katie Edmunds